Island Banana Bread
Banana bread seems to be popular wherever bananas are found, and bananas are plentiful in the Caribbean. The addition of lemon peel and hint of allspice make this sweet, moist Caribbean version unique.
Related Sponsored Links
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 11/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- 11/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (the riper, the better)
- 1 teaspoon each grated fresh lemon peel and vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350?.
- Lightly oil a 4 x 8-inch loaf pan or spray with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine both types of flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and spices. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Beat with a fork or wire whisk until blended. Add to dry mixture, mixing until all ingredients are moistened.
- Place mixture in prepared pan.
- Bake 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes, then turn out onto rack to finish cooling.
Makes 10 servings.
Each serving provides:
22 g Carbohydrate
recipe was excerpted from The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy International
Recipes, ? 2001 by Bobbie Hinman. Reprinted with permission of the
publisher, Surrey Books,
Info/Order this book.
About The Author
Bobbie Hinman's cookbooks have sold over 700,000 copies. She is the author of Lean and Luscious, Lean and Luscious and Meatless, More Lean and Luscious, and The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy Low Fat Meals. Hinman is a pioneer in the field of low fat cooking. Bobbie is constantly in demand as a speaker and cooking teacher, and has appeared on many TV and radio shows. She is a frequent contributor to The Vegetarian Journal.